Friday, October 22, 2010

I'm a PC

I've used computers for a long time.  My first was the Commodore 64, and it was sweet.  Mail Order Monsters, Summer Games, Hard Hat Mack, and the adventure in Zork. I even taught myself a little bit of Basic programming to make it do stuff.  In high school, we got a new computer that had Windows 3.1. As a teenager, I spent my own money to upgrade Windows 95 and have had every version of Windows since then.  So I am a little biased.

This year, I was given a MacBook to use in my classroom. Having used it for a few months now, I have decided that I am definitely a PC. The advertisers say that Macs just work. Well, it doesn't. I tried to play an avi file in class yesterday.  Avi just may be the most ubiquitous movie format in the world.  It wouldn't play.  Five minutes later, after downloading a separate program, I could play it. Safari cannot use the same toolbars and extensions as Firefox. Programs never seem to fully close. My Word document is gone, but the formatting toolbar is still there? I can't see what documents are open in the dock.

The huge, multitouch touchpad on the other hand is fabulous. I can do most things with it now without missing the mouse. The battery also lasts much longer than any PC laptop I've used. It boots up like a flash compared to my windows laptops. So there are some nice things about it.

Aesthetically and ergonomically, the Mac's ok.  But it's not a couch or a painting. I'm a PC.

5 comments:

  1. Schools tried to pass off Macs in the 80's, they didn't work then and they don't work now. I'm a PC and will always be a PC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to say I am a "Mac". That does not mean I am efficient at using Mac, far beyond efficient actually. However, I like the fundamental programs that are different from an IBM based computer. I have not had all the issues relating to software updates, freeze-ups and other problems that are inherent with IBMs. I disagree that they don't work, we just don't know our way around as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://edubuntu.org/
    We should all be using open-source software for our educational needs. not only will it save massive amounts of money since it can run efficiently on older computers, thus freeing us of our constant need to upgrade despite the fact that schools use computers for honestly quite simplistic purposes, but also they have become increasingly user-friendly and intuitive. Ubuntu, particularly, has become extremely easy to install and to switch over to. Any windows, or mac, user can try it out easily from a flash drive. The open-source movement is the future, especially in education!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I run my class on a mac and use it for EVERYTHING! I have to say ive never even had a hint of a problem. I was a PC and was used to PC problems... with the mac I have never had an issue. As for tools, web 2.0(snazzy name for a lot of stuff) tools are everywhere and make a huge difference in class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I a MAC. I believe that in time you will convert ;) Have you done any multi-media projects yet?

    I also disagree with the comment that macs "don't work". In my opinion it's quite the contrary. Macs are becoming the standard in industries such as video production, graphic design, and audio recording. There's a reason that the pros are using MACs instead of PCs.

    ReplyDelete